CUCV Brake Systems, Part 2

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 07:09:32 PST

> the CUCV doesn't use vacuum brake booster. It uses hydroboost
>which is powered off of the PS pump. I don't recall if Bendix was the brand
>or not.

Thanks for the many replies confirming my suspicion.

Now for the second part of the question. I'm trying to help someone with a
small problem that being constant loss of PS fluid. I observed that when,
and only when, you apply the brakes then release them, for the next 5 to 10
seconds you see drips of PS oil comming from the joint between the master
cylinder and the booster. Obvious first guess is that the seal (assuming
there must be one of some kind) in the booster is leaking, when you apply
the brakes the fluid comes out and fills the space between, then when you
release, the master plunger wants to come back but you've got oil in there
so it is forced to drip out the gasketless joint. Make sense??

So I got out my civy GM unit repair book for my suburban which has the same
booster (by eye anyway). Looks like there is in fact a seal on the large
plunger inside but looks like you have to split the booster in half to get
it out, meaning does not look like it will just come out the end if the
master is removed. Anyone have any experiance with these? I would wonder
if I could just by a civy rebuild kit and split the housing and only deal
with the plunger seal leaving everything else in place such as the spool
valve and accumulator and such, thus only replacing the seal and the main
housing gasket. Btw, the local auto parts store wants $200 for a rebuilt unit.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I asked about vacuum
boosters as I have one sitting here that would fit, if there was a CUCV with
a vacuum pump we could have converted it but then that's alot of work also.

tia,

je