Re: [MV] starting problem with my mil car

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 19:58:42 PST

Jim, how many miles?
If you brought it to my shop with that complaint
I'd:
Look at the spark plug wires. Original? OY!
  Change 'em (no Autozone junk)
Just change those plugs anyway, they're cheap. How about Autolite or
Motorcraft? NO
PLATINUMS, BOSCH or otherwise!!!
  Yes! Duraspark has a "ballast resistor" but you'll never find it.
It's in the wiring.
  Does that choke set? (don't say "what's a choke?")
  Does adding fuel help?
  What did the tips of the plugs look like? Sooty? Nice tan color?
  Try TEMPORARILY adding a jumper from bat + to coil +. Does it start
now?
  Some of these things used the old Ford four
terminal starter relay and some used three terminal one. The four
terminal one has the
hot "start-ignition circuit" in it. Is the wire connected? Is there
power out of the solenoid at this terminal (little terminal next to
start terminal, "I" vs. "S")?
  With lots of miles, timing gears can skip.
How does this thing run when it does run?
Good Luck, Don Kenyon
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN, L-1, CA Enhanced Smog Lic