Re: [MV] Ferret fluids... Re: [MV] [MVlist] Re: [MV] Deuce Transmission / Transfer case Fluid

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 00:35:39 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 1:20 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Ferret fluids... Re: [MV] [MVlist] Re: [MV] Deuce Transmission
/ Transfer case Fluid

> At 11:21 PM +0000 12/6/01, Richard Notton wrote:
> >Yes, most Ferrets were converted (from OM 13) to "brake fluid" OX 8
> >which is DOT
> >3/4, hydraulic oil brake components were marked with a splash of green paint,
> >which is handy when they got sprayed green all over in manufacture.
> >
> >A previous owner might have flushed and filled with DOT 5 silicone, beware.
> >
> >With all the usual warnings, it hasn't killed me yet, taste a _tiny_
> >smear on a
> >finger, mineral hydraulic oil tastes, well, like oil; brake fluid certainly
> >doesn't.
>

> Ok, then if the norm was to convert to DOT 3/4 then DOT5 isn't
> compatable. DOT 5.1 is compatable. Hard to find but its out there.

Do remember what was around at the time (c.1960) for these vehicles, there was
no choice of DOT 3, 4 or 5.1, it just came in tins called "brake fluid" and
indeed this is what is listed in the mil/commercial conversion sheet for the
military OX8.

Also the Ferret brakes/fluid is not heat stressed like say modern disc systems
on a performance car, the system is a very simple non-servo drum brake
arrangement and we could say intrinsically anti-lock; none of us can press the
pedal hard enough to achieve this. (Wet grass and 90EP on a polythene sheet
excepted)

The moral is think ahead and leave yourself plenty of stopping distance on the
road, for a nominal 4 ton armoured car they are quite fast but slowing it down
is another matter entirely.

DOT 5.1 is readily available here and I'm surprised its an apparent rarity in
the US when I can buy it locally in anything from 0.5 litre bottles to 5 litre
cans, much more expensive than 3 or 4 though and I would think a waste of money
in a Ferret.

Richard
Southampton - England