Re: [MV] M35A2 brake switch

From: Mark J. Blair (mblair1@home.net)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 09:24:12 PST

"uniquemachine" <uniquemachine@air1.net> wrote:
> I remember reading a discussion about brake switches on the list a
> while back, but I don't remember the specifics. Any help?

I don't remember the specific MIL-VEH thread, but your problem sounds
like something I read about in PS Magazine. There was an MWO to
replace the older hydraulic brake light switch with a pneumatic one.
The hydraulic one had a nasty habit of blowing out one of the pins
(obviously, when the brakes were applied), leaving the truck with no
brakes at a particularly bad moment.

My suggestion:

1. As long as you're working in the area, apply the MWO if it hasn't
already been applied. I think that issue of PS Magazine is new enough
to be available on-line. Let me know if you need help finding the
article.

2. If your replacement harness is wired for the older hydraulic
switch, some minor surgery will be required. Let me know if you need
advice on how to do the surgery while maintaining the waterproof
integrity of the harness.

If the exact pneumatic switch is not easy to find, I'd hazard a guess
that a commercial truck part that is identical except for the
electrical connector(s) is available, and making a waterproof splice
to replace the connector(s) is not terribly difficult.

Good luck!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/