Re: [MV] De-mil bill

From: L & R Almquist (rpa6708@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 08:40:50 PST

It is good news that once again wiser minds have prevailed - with a lot
of effort to educate them.

I say now is the time to mobilize to defeat placing section 1062 in the
House and Senate draft Defense Appropriations Bill of 2002, as in 2000
and 2001.

As I read an earlier email I was floored to see that the National VFW
supported the section. Bob Manhan,VFW Assistant Legislative Director
said, "Because I am the VFW staffer responsible for this piece of
legislation I have researched the issue and have advised this
organization to support the entire bill, which does include the section
you are particularly interested in having eliminated. The title of this
section is: 'Authority to ensure demilitarization of significant
military equipment formerly owned by Department of Defense.' "

Key supporters of section 1062, such as the VFW, should be educated now,
not when the section has been attached to the 2002 bill.

Dick Almquist
'54 M37
'60 M151
'64 M676 (FC170)
'71 M35A2 [workhorse of the fleet]

PS: My view is that most Local VFWs are not aware the National stand on
this issue. I park some of my vehicles at a VFW RV storage facility -
Local is not aware of issue.