Re: [MV] CUCV starter problems

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 08:52:21 PST

Hey list,
I had a problem of a loose starter and grinding bendix too back in '96. One
thing, my truck didn't have the support on the back of the starter, case to
the block. The other was that I unknowingly replaced my bolts with bolts
from NAPA. They were longer than 6.2L bolts by a few threads and they
wouldn't torque down. I didn't figure that out until I snapped a bolt off
in the block. Since it is a blind hole I drilled the bolt and used an
extractor which promptly broke off in the broken bolt. Holy $@%&^. I then
used diamond tipped bits to drill out the extractor, then used a different
brand of extractor to get out the bolt. I replaced the bolts with factory
bolts and washers. No problems ever since then. Well... no problems with
grinding that is...
Sincerely,
Chris Stansbury
Memphis, TN