Re: [MV] De-mil Bill Status, December 14

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 13:09:13 PST

Hi John,

Yeah, I heard the good news this morning.

>(The two votes in the Senate against the bill came from Democrat Robert
>Byrd of West Virginia and Republican John McCain of Arizona. Sens. Pete
>Domenici, R-N.M., and Patty Murray, D-Wash., did not vote).

Interesting to note, according to what I heard both of Maine's Reps (my
Reps) voted against the bill. Not because of either the absurd piles of
money going to the missile defense colander or the lack of the demil
section, but because of the base closing provisions requested by the Bush
Admin. I haven't heard anything about this, but apparently Maine might
be on the losing end of another round of base closings.

Just a reminder that a piece of legislation this big can't possibly
please everybody.

Oh, and Richard is totally correct. We have not won the war, merely come
out even after a single battle. While we can breath a small sigh of
relief, nobody should be dancing for joy. The fight against clamping down
on various military related hobbies will likely never be won, which is
the only time dancing for joy is called for.

Steve