Re: [MV] Sanding and body prep

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 18:53:48 PST

I got lucky, unfortunately due to someone else's misfortune. Man 'bout
mid-fifties ran a body shop just down the street. I went down there to
check progress on a two-tone Imron paint job I was having done to one
of my fuel delivery trucks. Much to my amazement, he was in the reel/
meter box and shooting away WITHOUT a respirator. Seems the fresh
air supply system he had was too bothersome, so he just painted and
inhaled. Well, it caught up to his nervous system and he had to close
the shop. Too many years of unprotected painting and sanding.
Anyway, after he closed up shop he stopped by to see me and asked
me if I wanted to buy some of his equipment and paint products. In the
end, I got professional air tools including a DA, air file and a jitterbug
along with boxes of paper to go with them, boxes of wet or dry paper,
spot welder, hammers, all sorts of body working tools and gallons of
Gorilla Hair (waterproof fiberglass reinforced body filler). I hate to
think what it would have cost me to equip my shop with all of this if
purchased new.
Naturally, all of this led to my taking a couple of vo-tech body work
courses in order to learn how to properly use the tools in the
restoration of my military vehicles.
My point is, keep a lookout for any body shops closing down, you
just might find some real bargains.
Joe Young
www.joeyoung.com