[MV] Sanding and body prep

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 21:40:56 PST

>Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:28:59 EST
>Subject: [MV] Sanding and body prep
>
>Hello to the list,
>
>I've been hand block sanding on and off on my Cj2a for months now. Trouble
>is, I don't seem to be getting anywhere. ..................
>Any help would be appreciated,
>Denny
>'48 Cj2A

Chemical stripping is the fastest and probably the easiest if you have the
area to do it.Marson makes a good aircraft stripper.About a gallon should do
an average jeep.Brush it on.Let it do its work and then use a pressure
washer to hose off.
On the bare metal now is best to do any bondo work.Again Marson makes White
Lightning Bondo.Excellent stuff,even approved by body shops that work on
expensive cars.Bondo if applied properly will out last the steel body.
Any deep scratches can be filled with primer putty.
A cheap but very effective sealer is Vinyl Wash.This is used on aluminum
siding for houses.Can be had at any of the regular paint places like General
Paint.
For any sanding,general rule of thumb 100 grit for chips and scratches.Just
feather edge the areas.220 to 320 on the paint before primer and 320 to 400
for the finish before paint.
A cheap but good palm sander electric type will do a good job.Get the
smaller one for the most work.Leave the wet sanding to Ferrari's.
Use good masking tape around any edges that the sander might accidently hit
while sanding.3M has about the best there is for masking tape.
Andre