Re: [MV] Wrecker Question

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 05:53:46 PST

In a message dated 12/28/01 12:54:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
witek@argus.rs-systems.com writes:

<< How
 hard is it to mate a 5-toner to a wrecker body. >>

While I say this seriously, I hope you take it light heartedly as well.

If the two items above were being given to you for free, it still would not
be practical to do this. There are major differences in the frame and
suspension that if not duplicated would render your creation unsafe to
operate. Also, a wrecker has a sufficient number of gearboxes, power
dividers, PTO's, driveshafts, hydraulic lines and valves, electric brakes,
remote control throttles and clutches to rank them, in my opinion, the most
complex of the wheeled vehicles. I know a fellow who did a frame up
restoration on both a M125 and a M543A2. His words were that the ten ton was
a piece of cake compared to the wrecker.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
(about to go work on sticking throttle linkage on M-62 wrecker)