Machine Gun on M151A1 plus carb question

From: Tony Castagno (tonycastagno@verticalthought.com)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 06:38:52 PST

Hello List,

I've got a few questions about a my 1968 Ford M151A1 1964 M416 trailer

1) It is currently in 4 color cammo as it came out of service. I would like
to take it back to the original green with white marking circa vietnam.
What color is that and who has the best price? I've used Gilespie paints in
the past on my HMMWV and was pleased with the results.

2) I've been thinking about adding a Machine Gun mount to the vehicle. I've
seen some people mount the M60 and I believe I've seen some people mount the
.30 cal. If possible I'd prefer the .30 since I think the parts kits are
cheaper. Was it ever correct to have the .30 mounted? And if not who has
the best price on dummy M60's or parts kits?

3) I'm having difficulty starting the vehicle after its been sitting for
several hours or more. It cranks over and over but won't start. I have a
hill on my property and the only way I've been able to start it is rolling
down the hill and popping the clutch. My theory is that I might have a
vacuum leak and that the higher revolutions from the push start overcome the
leak? I rebuilt the carb several years ago and have two other good Take Out
Carbs I was thinking about switching out and making sure there were no
leaks. What is the best way to check for a leak? It starts on the first
revolution when warm.

Thanks,
Tony