Camo, etc.

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 11:05:38 PST

When it comes to camo colors and patterns, nobody has ever come with a
perfect color or pattern have they? We're always looking. Every 4 to 5
years we seem to change, always hoping for better or maybe it's just a
fashion statement?

I've had the opportunity to use or view a fairly diverse array of cammo
patterns over the years. It's always been interesting to see what a gov.
will come up with. My first up close and personal experience was wearing the
basic olive green fatigues, could those even be called cammo? Prior to that
time (1965), but still around was the WWII leaf pattern. It looked pretty
good too, but I never had a chance to field test it, although I know they did
use the old WWII stuff in the early stages of Viet Nam.

Then I recall some creative guy designed the directional pattern Tiger
Stripes, around the mid 60's, which just never went over well. Very short
period of use for that one. Then it was on to our current BDU pattern, which
has really worked well. Although, I have used the 95 Pattern DPM which is to
me just as good. The DPM was very similar to the Dutch cammos, although they
employ a bit more light golden brown color.

The worst I ever came across was the Swiss Alpenflauge (Sp?), which is sort
of a burnt red, rust, green, black, white, dot pattern, small dots, about 1/2
inch .... really strange. Provided no cammo ability whatsoever, least in my
area. I realize that all cammo is suited to specific to geography, but
still, I never saw anything in the Alps to resemble that either, maybe the
scaly stuff on rocks? I'm sure somewhere in Switzerland there must be
something growing that looks like that or maybe we'll find it on Mars... yep,
could be perfect for Mars alright, just not sure earth is ready for it. They
virtually built the back pack into the field jacket... not sure I liked that
either, and as I recall there was plastic water proofing in the crotch that
made a lot of swishing noise. It's got to be the strangest personnel camo
ever devised. ( no offense meant to our Swiss members, you guys l make a
great 4X4 Pinz, 48 blade folding knives, etc.)

As to camo on vehicles, this is a great area for debate! lol The most
versatile color in my opinion was the W.W.II up till Korean area olive green,
the U.S. army's basic old olive drab... Field drab, No 4, 502, US field drab,
Disruptive colour.

We (U.S.A.) use almost a grass green base color now by comparison similar I
think to the WW II, Green, No 2, 512, Tank green, disruptive colour. I
could be wrong there, I just know it's considerable lighter than the W.W.II
paint found on most US jeeps and of course it's also now a 3 color. Unless
it's the desert warfare cammo, which is a solid light tannish pinkish,
puke-ish sort of color.... real cute, a pink Abrams..... that's got to fool
somebody. lol (Just kidding) I realize this is the color of Arab sand. The
older U.S.A. light loam base and black accents was similar and better suited
for the more dry regions here. Still, both are of limited use outside North
Africa or Barstow, CA.

It's interesting to note Netherlands employ a very decent 4 color pattern,
dark olive, light olive, tan and black. The odd part is it has sharp edges.
Example can be found at:

http://hometown.aol.com/jaxincalifornia/Volvopage.html

This is very similar in shape (but not color) to another British designed
"urban" cammo pattern found in Germany during 60's. Actually, quite
effective too, but not widely adopted.

But, the all time most effective camo... least in my opinion, again has to go
to the British. They really do their homework and come up with some great
ideas. Their old two color cammo pattern (guessing this popular late 60's to
mid 70's) was an olive green and black... olive green base and large black
areas with soft, diffused and irregular edges. Tell you what, you toss a net
over that one, back it into some green foliage and it's gone. I've actually
taken people out to look at the landscape, having hidden a Ferret half in the
natural foliage and trees and they never spotted it until it was pointed
out... now that's what camouflage is supposed to do!

Here's a link for WWII color schemes... pretty darn good site, covers just
about everything:

http://www.gladiatorgames.co.uk/wwii_paint_guide.htm

Happy nude year...

Jack