Re: [MV] For sell

From: Liberty Krueger (libertyk@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 17:06:33 PST

To HUMVEE owners from an Army safety message just out:

A. Vehicles continue to be operated with non-version 14.0a Distribution box,
nsn 6110-01-446-7126, which was installed with kit nsn 6110-01-446-7125.
These boxes are considered dangerous and were to be turned in per (Safety Of
Use Message) SOUM 99-007. These boxes can cause the truck to crank over on
its own either during operation or after the vehicle has been stopped and
the run switch turned off. Some field reports have indicated vehicles are
also experiencing premature battery drainovernight as well as heater/wiper
motors working erratically.

B. If vehicle is unattended and the starter cranks on its own, it can
continue until the batteries are drained of power, or the starter/wiring
harness shorts out. Should the starter or wiring harness short out while
self cranking, there is potential for the vehicle to catch fire and be
destroyed. If the starter should engage unexpectedly, there is also a
potential for injury to personnel.

User actions:
Immediately inspect subject vehicles to determine if any are equipped with
the distribution box nsn 6110-01-446-7126, which was Installed with kit nsn
6110-01-446-7125. The distribution box is located under the left side dash
board above the brake pedal.

Determining if the vehicle is equipped with the distribution box can be done
by raising the hood and looking for two cannon plug connectors instead of
one, next to the windshield washer reservoir.

If equipped with distribution box, inspect label to determine which version
is installed. version 14.0a's are so annotated with "ver: 14.0a" on the
label next to the serial number. If the label is missing or does not
indicate ver: 14.0a, remove the distribution box and replace with the new
engine electrical start system (eess), nsn 6110-01-463-9260 within 60 days
of receipt of this message.