Re: [MV] Camo, etc.

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 10:17:58 PST

Hi Jack,

Well, you have hit upon a topic of interest to me that predates my MV
collecting by about 10 years :-) Check out my modest camo collection
website at:

www.battelfront.com/resources/poc

I have examples of something like 50 or so camo patterns. Er... maybe a
lot more since I spend my time aquiring and not counting :-) I have more
than what is on my site as I am also lazy to scan up stuff.

>When it comes to camo colors and patterns, nobody has ever come with a
>perfect color or pattern have they? We're always looking. Every 4 to 5
>years we seem to change, always hoping for better or maybe it's just a
>fashion statement?

Actually, camo patterns traditionally stay in use for far longer than
this. The current US based Woodland has been used for something like 30
years and is still going strong. Only now are the Marines getting
something different. Other patterns, like Austria's, have been in use
without modification for even longer (45 or so years). Some nations make
only periodic modifications to their basic pattern, like British DPM and
Swiss Alpenflage. Only a few, like the Russian Federation, crank out
camo patterns in great varieties and numbers.

>The DPM was very similar to the Dutch cammos, although
>they employ a bit more light golden brown color.

Other way around :-) British DPM is one of the very few camo patterns
which has served as a model pattern for many other nations, including The
Netherlands. There are other examples of almost identical DPM patterns
all over the world.

>The worst I ever came across was the Swiss Alpenflauge (Sp?), which is sort
>of a burnt red, rust, green, black, white, dot pattern, small dots, about
>1/2
>inch .... really strange. Provided no cammo ability whatsoever, least in my
>area. I realize that all cammo is suited to specific to geography, but
>still, I never saw anything in the Alps to resemble that either, maybe the
>scaly stuff on rocks?

The Swiss uniform was an almost identical copy of a very late war WWII
German camo pattern. The Czechs also employed this uniform (some say
using the same printing screens) for a very short period in the 1950s.
Only the Swiss have utilized this pattern as a standard uniform.

The main purpose of the uniform was to defeat IR devices and offer strong
contrasting camo for built up urban areas. This it did very well. It
also offers some of the best concealment in hardwood forests in the Fall
and is quite good during early/late sunlight. Other than that it has its
problems, just like every camo uniform ever made. The new Swiss uniform
uses the same pattern but with NATO colors. Not nearly as impressive,
but still quite good.

>They
>virtually built the back pack into the field jacket... not sure I liked that
>either, and as I recall there was plastic water proofing in the crotch that
>made a lot of swishing noise.

Many soldiers sliced off the waterproofing sections (which were on the
front/sides of the thighs down to mid shin and elbows) because they
trapped in moisture. The same plastic like material was used for the
hooded rain poncho.

The light weight summer version of the uniform does not have the built in
equipment harness nor the plastic reinforced sections.

>It's got to be the strangest personnel camo
>ever devised.

And the most ingenious IMHO. It does away with the need for an external
equipment harness. I am honestly not sure how the two compare in
practical conditions, but the concept is certainly interesting.

> ( no offense meant to our Swiss members, you guys l make a
>great 4X4 Pinz, 48 blade folding knives, etc.)

Just to be nit picky... the Pinz is an Austrian truck used by the Swiss
and Aussies. Probably a few used by others, but I don't know of any more
than that. And I can attest from personal ownership experience that the
Pinz is fantastic :-)

>As to camo on vehicles, this is a great area for debate! lol The most
>versatile color in my opinion was the W.W.II up till Korean area olive
>green, the U.S. army's basic old olive drab...

I agree. However, specific colors and shapes should be painted on
vehicles depending on their local surroundings. This is something that
most nations don't bother with now, but the Germans in particular did
with great skill from 1943 on.

>It's interesting to note Netherlands employ a very decent 4 color pattern,
>dark olive, light olive, tan and black. The odd part is it has sharp
>edges.

Do you mean Sweeden? They have been using a geometric pattern for
vehicle and uniform camo since... er... 1960s I think. Very distinctive
and highly effective since the most important aspect of camo is to offer
contrast.

>But, the all time most effective camo... least in my opinion, again has to
>go
>to the British. They really do their homework and come up with some great
>ideas. Their old two color cammo pattern (guessing this popular late 60's
>mid 70's) was an olive green and black... olive green base and large black
>areas with soft, diffused and irregular edges.

I'd say this is the best all around camo arrangement. OD and Black
disrupt shape and work in most situations. The US used these colors in
WWII to some extent as well, but not nearly to the same extent the
British used their "Mickey Mouse" pattern. However, I am of the firm
opinion that as good as this general pattern is it isn't the best.

The best I have ever seen is the German WWII "Ambush" pattern, especially
used in forested areas. It simulated difused sunlight patterns resulting
from tree branches. Allied tankers noted this pattern specifically and
complained bitterly about how effective it was when combined with a
stationary position and low silouette vehicle (like the various
Jagdpanzers). A similar pattern was widely used by Waffen SS uniforms
from 1944 to the end of the war. It too was highly effective and is the
basis for the current Bundeswehr, Danish, and Japanese uniforms.

Enjoy camo! :-)

Steve