Re: [MV] RA PD?

From: Mark J. Blair (mblair1@home.net)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 00:15:50 PST

Cougarjack@aol.com wrote:

> RAPD is Raritan Arsenal Printing Department.
> [...]
> We take good photos for granted these days, but he tells me that a
> lot of special effort went into getting good clear ones for the
> tm's.
[...]
> Some of these photos look like grayscale technical drawings, but of
> very high density and quality. These were made up with basic photos,
> then manipulated in both the darkroom and the cut and paste board.

Fascinating! I always wondered how they made those pictures. They
often show the important details much more clearly than even a
high-resolution photo under ideal lighting conditions, and the shading
is often much better than hand-drawn diagrams. It sounds like they
started with carefully-arranged photos, and then hand-drew edges and
maybe edited out blemishes and small, unimportant details. A picture
may tell 1000 words, but a lot of those old TM photos tell at least
2000!

> You'll notice that later tm's on the same end item seldom if ever
> use the older photos.

And when they do, a lot of them are [very] poor-quality reproductions
of the original photos, that look like half-tone renderings derived
from the earlier half-tone printings, with obvious Moire' patterns
from different screen densities. Sigh.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/