M48 MG mount question

From: OKMTRPOOL@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 20:49:26 PST

I recently acquired a part for mounting the ammo box on the 1919A4 on the M48
mount. This part is "Adapter, Ammunition Box,M1". It mounts on the left side
of the gun and is secured by a clamp around the barrel jacket. I had supposed
that the .30 caliber ammunition can ( the metal WWII vintage M1 can) would
fit right on to this bracket, but it really does not seem to do much more
than hang there loosely. Is this how it is supposed to work or am I missing
another part not shown in the SNL? I can send a pic if you don't yet
understand what I am describing, Surely someone on this list has made one of
these work.