Re: W NUMBER

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 10:03:33 PST

Don wrote,
...................I think I've made a discovery.
I was trying to look too close at the hood sheetmetal for that number.
I stood BACK and began to look--voila! BIG numbers.
Suddenly I remembered the pics in my old N.G Yearbooks--the oldie 30's
trucks had BIG W numbers. 4" or larger.
SO! LOOKS LIKE--TA-Dah! W-33749..maybe more?
Gosh I hope I'm right, research will be much easier.
Only took about six months to get that much...

     Good stuff! The use of 4" numbers on hoods is specified in Adjutant
General's Office Circular # 74, dated April 17, 1941. On this Ford the
USA # should also be painted across the rear doors just under the windows
(if any). This should also be in the 4" high numbers. Sometimes the number
was also stencilled under the hood. This shows in a number of photos of the
Ford Army Staff cars.

   Jim

   NOTE NEW ADDRESS----NOTE NEW ADDRESS---NOTE NEW ADDRESS------AS OF
JANUARY 4, 2001---------