Re: [MV] Desert Storm Vehicles...Solid Sand Color or Desert Camo Pattern?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 20:15:10 PST

The first vehicles deployed during desert storm were painted CARC tan 686,
later, this was amended to CARC tan 686A, which is cooler to vehicle
occupants. Due to theater (and world) wide shortage of these colors, and the
long lead times associated with producing CARC paints, some vehicles were
painted with locally obtained "close" colors.

The three color NATO scheme, as well as the earlier 4 color scheme, had
desert variations. In the NATO scheme, the 383 green is replaced with a tan
color, the black and brown remain the same. (It may be because it is "odd",
but I think this is the most attractive of the camo schemes myself)

The four color scheme had two different colors systems for desert.
For the gray desert scheme the "normal" forest green becomes sand, the light
green becomes field drab, and the normal sand becomes earth yellow.
For the red desert scheme, the colors become respectively earth red, earth
yellow and sand.
In all cases the black remains unchanged.

If you need the FS numbers for the colors let me know, I have them around
here somewhere.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
(who is doing a little research on color and markings at the moment!)