Re: [MV] Troop Seat Wood

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 17:22:01 PST

>I'm buiding up some troop seats for my M715 using brackets from a 6x6. I
>need to either make or buy the wood slats- any recommendations for wood
>types, where to buy, etc?
>Does anyone in the Minnesota area have a set of wood slats?

I had to remake all the bows (top bows and side pieces) for my 715 as they
had rotted away. I used oak, not sure if it was white or red, but it is
holding up well. I found a cabinet maker shop that had some. He cut it to
width and height for me and even did the nice corner rounding. Another
option is to find a deck company. Many of them use exotic hardwoods that
weather better than any domestic wood. Ipe is a good one also tatajuba,
purple heart, jara, kari, kwela (don't quote my spelling) are but a few
that a buddy of mine deals with (didn't know him when I did my top bows)

good luck,

je