"Dangerous" stuff like PEWS & Mules

From: Tim Clark (glengar@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 10:53:36 PST

I read with interest Jack's posting. Since I am a retired DEA Special
Agent, with over 25 years service, I think I can comment on his
references to drug dealers.

I also was involved with the electronic surveillance part of DEA and
have some deal of experience in intrusion detection too.

While a PEWS certainly can be used as Jack describes, so can many, many
other systems READILY available at low cost from suppliers like Radio
Shack, Fair Radio and hamfests.

This is not even to mention State of the Art video systems that detect
motion and can sound alarms, etc.

Therevore, I can see no reason to sound an alarm about some piece of
military equipment that can coincidentaly do the same thing as these
other systems.

We do not need members of our own hobby ringing bells to support those
who would love to have reasons to prevent us from getting any surplus
from the military.

It is silly enough right now where old WWII "steel pots" telephone
handsets are "DeMil" items.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot (or elsewhere) and doing a
disservice to the hobby to broadcast such feelings.

As for the M-274 MULE, I have found them also to be safe as long as
operated reasonably, keeping in mind their construction and limitations.