Re: [MV] Breakthrough?

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 09:47:27 PST

Don,

The picture on page 141 of THE DODGE STORY by Thomas A McPherson (Crestline
Publishing) (and distributed by Motorbooks International) is incorrectly
captioned. The vehicle shown in the photo is a 1/2-ton WC-20 or a WC-41
Emergency Repair Vehicle. The WC-60 was a 3/4-ton Emergency Repair Vehicle.
Apparently all vehicles, both 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton, were built as Cab Chassis
and the service bodies were added by another vendor.

WC-20 - Contract number W-398-QM-9388
  USA numbers: W-003759 thru W-003788;
Total production was 20 vehicles

WC-41- Contract number W-398-QM-10327
  USA numbers: W-005646 thru W-005912; production was 267 vehicles
WC-41 - Conrtact number W-398-QM-11244
  USA numbers: W-006868 thru 006906; production was 39 vehicles
WC-41 - Contract number W-398-QM-11592
  USA numbers: W-008608 thru 008684
Total WC-41 production was 383 vehicles.

I do not have complete records for 3/4-ton production. The numbers below
indicate production up to mid 1943. Perhaps someone with greater resources
can add to these production figures.

WC-60 - Contract number W-398-QM-13596
  USA numbers: W-0015915 thru 0015986
WC-60 - Contract number W-374-ORD-2864
  USA numbers: W-0026383 thru 0026606
Total WC-60 production was 296 vehicles.

I think there may be some confusion about the "W" numbering system (the War
Department vehicle registration number) and the War Department vehicle
contract number. I do not know of any direct relation between the W-3xxx
that may be on the hood of a vehicle and the W-3xx-xx-xxxx of the contract
number.

As I originally sent my post describing the "W" numbering system as used on
Army vehicles directly to you, and not to the list, I am including it below.
Perhaps is can be of use to others on the list.

I have a copy of the book "AMERICAN MILITARY CAMOUFLAGE AND MARKINGS
1939-1945" published by ALMARK PUBLISHING CO. LTD., London, copyright 1973.
The Author is Terence Wise. I assume this book is out of print. I also note
that I have found several errors in the book, however I have found the book
to be very useful. If list members interested on WW-II vehicles can find a
copy, I believe it should be on the shelf.

<snip>
There is a chapter regarding miscellaneous markings. In this chapter is a
section about registration numbers. Quote:

A registration numbering system was introduced for War Department vehicles in
1929 and this system continued to be used throughout World War 2. The
numbers were formed from:

1. the letter W for War Department
2. one or two numerals representing the vehicle type.
3. a number indicating the sequence in which the vehicle was issued.

In addition the prefix letter K was used by the U.S. Signal Corps to
designate special vehicle types. Towards the end of the war, from mit 1944
onward the prefix W was often omitted.

Vehicles supplied to U.S. forces in Australia by the Australian motor
industry for use in the Pacific theatre had numbers with the prefix letter
U. These vehicles were usually American chassis, assembled in Australia, and
fitted with local bodies and right hand drive. They were mostly cars,
pick-ups, medium and light trucks with cargo or special bodies.

The official registration number prefix numerals are listed in the
accompanying table. These were the figures in use from 1943 onwards. Prior
to this date the terminology for trucks was slightly different and this
affected the prefix codes. Up to 1942 these variations were:

Utility truck, 3/4 to 1 ton ..... Prefix number 2
Light truck, 1-1/4 to 2 ton ..... Prefix number 3
Medium truck, 2-1/2 to 4 ton ..... Prefix number 4
Heavy truck, 5 ton and over ..... Prefix number 5

Location and Application: Registration numbers were painted in three inch
high numerals, unless space dictated the use of smaller ones.

The numbers were applied in the following positions:

Trucks: at the side edges of the engine bonnet, on each side of the truck
and across the tailboard.

Open trailers: on the side edge of the body near the forward end and
across the tailboard.

Motorcycles: across the upper part of the rear mudguard, to the rear of
the rider's seat.

AFV's: on each side and on the rear of the vehicle, on most appropriate
surfaces. On hull type vehicles, such as tanks, SP guns and APCs, the number
was also applied to the front surface in an appropriate position.

Prefix codes from 1943 onwards:

0 Trailers
00 Maintenance Trucks
1 Cars and sedans
10 Kitchen trailers
2 Light trucks up to 1 ton
20 Recce trucks, buses
3 Medium trucks, 1-1/2 ton
30 Tanks and some "specials"
4 Trucks, 2-1/2 ton and up to 4-5 ton
40 Tracked and Half tracked vehicles except tanks
5 Trucks over 5 tons and prime movers
50 Fire and crash trucks
6 Motorcycles and sidecars
60 Armoured cars and special technical vehicles such as command, radio,
searchlight.
7 Ambulances
70 Amphibious vehicles
8 Wheeled tractors
80 Tankers
9 Full and half tracked tractors

<end of snip>

Don, since your "W" number begins with a 3, it is a 1-1/2 ton vehicle and was
initially built to a specific contract. I note that the Dodges listed above
all have "W" numbers that begin with "00" and were contracted for and built
as "maintenance vehicles." Could your truck have been just one of the 1-1/2
ton trucks procured, but later modified by the "using arm" for some specific
purpose?

Claude.