Alas, It Ain't So...

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 19:04:34 PST

Mr. Vaughn to the rescue, again! Sadder but a little wiser, I now know
that there's no direct connection between W contract numbers and USA W
numbers. But you can see how easy it
is to be confused...
  Mr. Vaughn goes on to ask if my vehicle could
have been procured as a "normal" 1.5 ton panel
and then converted later on.
  Well, this question has dogged me for three years.
  It's obvious that the conversion was done VERY early on. It has the
same old-fashioned
"UPS Truck Brown" CA N.G. paint as the rest of the truck. I don't know
when this color was abandoned, but I bet it was in the early 40's.
  My '39 also has one coat of the usual OD. Except for the original
primer, all paints and primers on the conversion match any fender or
door...
  Don't forget the brass ID plate "TB 766". This
could easily be "Tom's Body Co. # 766"
  The brass ID plate, BTW, has the later OD on top and covers an
original "brown" spot!
  Also don't forget that Dave Doyle's dad, Everette, remembers seeing a
truck very similar
to mine in Arkansas late 40's...
  The NARA (paid) researcher just replied to my
email. DDoyle, what's the file number for Maj. General Christmas @
NARA?
  Thanks, Don