Re: [MV] Land Rover advice needed -

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 10:24:21 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Terp" <dterp@tallcity.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 5:42 PM
Subject: [MV] Land Rover advice needed -

I've been looking at Ex-MoD LRs, primarily 109" Series 3's, and I have
noticed several of the ads list something like "usual indercarriage
rot".

My question is, what is the "usual rot", what should I look for and
how hard is it to repair?

The LR chassis is a notorious rust-bucket. The extreme front rusts where it is
not engine oil leak protected and the rear from the front seats also. Just
about everything can rust but the tops of the chassis rails where the mud can
lodge between them and the body and of course the notorious out-riggers are
especially prone. The rear cross-member is a candidate also and private
replacement is obvious as the civvy one has the PTO access hole.

If you're good at sheet metal work it can be replaced after the body is off,
over here complete replacement items are readily available as are complete
galvanised chassis too.

I had understood all the MoD Rovers had undercarriage coatings which
considerably reduced frame rust. Is this in fact the case? Does it
work?

Not really, after some damage the coating is compromised and it can make it
worse, do remember a SIII is quite an old beast.

Also, is it hard to get parts for 24v electrical systems in the
states? I have no problem working on 24v as long as the parts are
available.

Can't answer. The alternator will be a mil special though. 24V ones are FFR
variants.

Any other things a potential buyer should look for would be welcomed.

Usual LR ailments, rust, steering swivels, shot UJs, rust, steering idler (a
monster game to remove), slack diffs, rust, sagged springs, burnt exhaust valves
even on leaded fuel some form of lead replacement is essential, rust.

Richard
Southampton - England