Radios? What radios?

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 12:47:54 PST

   Note: Important Disclaimer....I'm not a radio expert, just a RKI
(Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual) on the subject.......

Jock wrote:

> ...Does anyone know if there is a radio table that goes behind the
> headboard in the bed of a M37?
>If so where could I find one?.........

   Hold on........Before you go out buying radio stuff for your M-37 you
have to decide a few things.

    There are questions that need answers before buying and putting radios
in any vehicle, not just a M-37.

   You need to ask.......when?, who?, what?, why?

   When? What time period are you portraying? A 1952 time period vehicle
will/could have different type/era radios that one in the late
1960's. This will make a great difference in what radios/mounts you
should use.

   Who? Who used it? A USMC vehicle will/can use different radio sets than
a Army one. If Army.....then you must decide who again. Who is using
it......the Infantry, Artillery or Armor? This will make a difference in
which frequencies the radios will be. For example, lets take the most
common 50's/60's era RT (Receiver-Transmitter) radio unit.

     If you are portraying a Infantry vehicle then you would use a RT-68
radio. If it's an Artillery unit then a RT-67 is needed. If Armor, then we
need a RT-66. All these radios look the same but their use is specific to
the using arm. We then need a power supply unit. This would be a PP-112 for
a 24 volt system. If your vehicle is a 12 volt one such as a 1/2 track then
you will a 12v. PP.

     Now, we will need a mount for this, which in the case of a RT+PP
only, would be a MT-299. Then we need all the accessories such as
microphones, headsets, cables, Bendix plug, antenna, ant. base, ant. mount,
covers, ant. bag, screws/bolts/nuts/clamps and the very important CX-1211/U
("dogbone") connector cable for the RT to the PP and, of course, the TM
manual for all this.

    Now you can see that this is starting to snowball and you're going to
need a lot more stuff than you might have thought.

     And were not through that Who? question yet!

    Another who? is, who in the using arm that you are portraying is using it?

    If the vehicle is going to be a command one then we will need to add a
few more radios. Oh, did I mention that some of these radios cannot talk to
each other? The Infantry radios can talk to the Artillery ones but not to
the Armor ones. The Armor ones can talk to the Artillery ones but not to
the Infantry ones. The Artillery can talk to both the Armor and Infantry.
This is because the Artillery frequencies overlap at the top with the
Infantry and at the bottom with the Armor.
       Now, how does this effect us? Well, if you want a command type
setup, then we need to add more radios that can talk to the ones that our
basic set cannot. The most common setup is a RT-66 or 67or 68 with a PP-112
and a R-108 or 109 or 110 receiver and a RT-70 radio with a AM-65 power amp
using a PP-282 power supply. Be sure if you buy a RT-70/AM-65 combo, that
you get the CX-1213/U "dogbone" connector with it. These are impossible to
find and the unit will not work without it. (If anyone on the list has any
of these let me know as I need several for some sets I'm putting together)

    This set uses a different and larger mount, a MT-297 with a C-435
control box under it. This is a very "cool" looking radio set as it allows
you to add another antenna and mount to the vehicle. Oh yea, you will need
even more accessories and speakers and ETC,ETC..........

    This is not the only command type set up. there are more combinations
of radios, mounts and such but this is more that I have time to write about
here. And......we haven't even touched on forward air controllers, relay
stations, or radios used by the Marines!

We still need to answer more questions........

   What? What is the vehicle? A M-37 with a radio set is a M-37
right? Well, not if it's a M-42!
      They look the same but the equipment that goes in them is different.
Even the rear canvas is different on a M-42 as it has a inner set of sides
that have windows for the command version. Also, many radio trucks have a
larger charging system. Usually it's a 100 amp generator/alternator with a
large regulator/rectifier which may have it's own cooling fan. The M-42 is
the one that uses a table in the back while a M-37 usually has the radios
just mounted on the lowered wood troop seat bottom on the left hand side.

       Last but not least.....the question Why? This is very important
from a money standpoint! Why do you want the radio/s? If it's to actually
use them then we need to make sure the radios/power supplies/mic's and
everything else WORKS! Working radios will cost more than non-working or
"I don't know if it works" ones. If you just want radios because they
look cool (and they do!) then you can save a lot of money by buying bad or
gutted ones.

    IMPORTANT NOTE HERE............If you want working radios to use,
then... READ THE MANUALS BEFORE PLAYING AROUND WITH THEM !!!!! These
things are not toys and they can KILL you. They use plenty of high voltage
power and even something as simple as holding on to the antenna while
transmitting can give you a high powered shock. In fact, some radios, when
used under camo netting, can set the netting on fire!

     One more warning. These radios transmit on frequencies that may/can
require a license to use. In fact, in my former home state of Michigan,
using or even having a working RT-68 in your vehicle is a felony!! Seems
it can receive and transmit on State Police frequencies. Check your local
laws.

Hope this info helps some.

Jim

BTW..copyright J.T. Gilmore 2002