RE: [MV] Pulling Trailers - Weight/Brakes Question

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 09:41:44 PST

There's a lot of misguided people out there that think you need a massively
oversized pickup to tow anything. (such as an F-250 minimum) I have had two
PRE-1996 pathfinders that have towed more than it's own weight in several
occasions off-road (larger trucks that get stuck)... and on-pavement hold
their own easily up to 2,500~3,000 lbs.

My truck is rated for 5,000 lbs as is the tow package, the ball, and the
trailer. This means I cannot tow more than 5,000 lbs in any case! However
under the California law (and likely other states) you cannot pull more than
3,000 lbs without a brake system on the trailer which is controlled by an
addition system on the truck.

So, if I am going to tow my 1954 M38A1 (2665 lbs) on my trailer I am going
to need the brake system working on it.

Just obey the state laws, and the laws of physics, and everything should be
fine! =)

Aaron Horrocks
Historical Military Vehicle & Mopar Enthusiast

"Parts should be preserved rather than restored, restored rather than
replaced, and replaced only when essential."