Re: [MV] M35A2 Question

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 14:34:56 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <DDoyle9570@aol.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] M35A2 Question

> Well, I have no direct experience with this problem, but....
> Virtually any fluid is heated when pumped...this is a problem with
pressure
> washers and hydraulic systems...I suppose that this could be a factor with
> fuel injection systems as well. What was the fuel level in the tank when
> this occurred? The more fuel in the tank, the more the returning fuel
would be
> cooled. Is this a naturally aspirated engine, or turbosupercharged? The
> muffler/exhaust is relatively near the fuel tank on the naturally
aspirated
> trucks, although I think this is a real stretch.
> There could be a problem with the intank fuel pump...a pinhole in the
> discharge line COULD mist fuel inside tank.

There is no possibility of misting the fuel on return to the tank as every
return
line to the fuel tank dumps it into the top of the tank without an internal
pipe.
The internal pipe is needed only on the supply side ( suction ). I've driven
over the road in
an 18 wheeler for months with an Arctic Fox fuel heater which is a stainless
3/4" line mounted inside the fuel tank running coolant from the engine
 that heats the fuel to prevent gelling with no shut off valves and
recorded 160 degrees F. in the tank just before refueling.
    I would however if I were you not run down the road at governed RPM
2700-2800 as it will shorten the engines life span even though it's rated
for
that rpm. Do you REALLY want to replace the engine? A little slower
down the road, it lasts longer and you don't really want to discover how
it handles with a steer axle blowout at max speed.

        Tires if I remember right have 55 PSI rated at 55 MPH go faster and
they heat up loaded or empty.

    Food for thought. Kindly carry in the Deuce and use a pretrip printout.
If you don't have one, I will email a PDF copy of it to whoever needs a
copy.

< snip >

James Shanks
1998 IMZ 8.103