Re: [MV] M38-A1 Brakes (Post Kroil)

From: Allen Jones (jonesal@u.washington.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 15:26:14 PST

With patience, you will not damage anything except the derelict screws.
First, use a sharp wrap of a small hammer (verses an all out crack with a
big one) on the screws from both the front and back (take the hub and drum
off as a unit). Be careful not to mushroom the back sides or you'll make
your job more difficult - these screws are soft. This will sometimes
separate the rusted parts (and is the first thing I do on every rusted screw
I take out). It may help to grind off the part of the screw that pokes out
the back side (it may have really rusted threads). After that, try a impact
driver (it's a hand tool that mounts a nice big bladed screw driver
attachment and when you hit it with a hammer, it twists). Properly support
the back of the hub to keep from damaging it or your drum. If that doesn't
work (it did in my case), countersink off the screw heads and drive the hub
out of the drum (with proper support and a wooden block). Then drill out
the screw shaft and use an easy out to remove the remainder. When
installing new screws, *lightly* coat them with anti seize. These screws
caused me just as much trouble.

Good luck!

Allen in Seattle
'55 M38A1