Re: [MV] Clear and present danger from.....military vehicles......

From: Nigel Hay (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 15:27:57 PST

Running the omipresent risk of getting back to HMV's, does anyone recall
seeing a film called Dien Ben Phu - its a 1990's French work of the epic
battle in Indo China - is an English language version available?
Some years ago I met a survivor of Dien Ben Phu (who was a Polish para who
in 1944 dropped at Arnhem) He was occasionlly at little over enthusiastic on
the booze and I found him asleep in and under my GMC 6x6 a couple of times
which used to be parked up about halfway from his local pub and his flat.
Sadly he died a year or so ago, having succumbed to Althiemers disease. I
understand the Legion took care of his bills in the Nursing home where he
ended his days.
Also the black and white classic,"The Battle for Algiers" in French with
Subtitles - does anyone know if it does the rounds on Sky TV? It has some
really good footage both origional and acted.
The Foriegn Legion, despite being France's elite, seemed to hold onto the
WW2 Jeeps Dodges and GMC's far longer than other units - I know they fitted
oversized tyres on the Dodges and changed the air cleaner assy.
At War and Peace each year comes along a Hotchkiss M201 faithfully restored
as a jeep of the 2nd REP in Algeria. I wonder if an example of the upgraded
Dodges exists?
NIGE