Re: [MV] Cucv GEN 1 light

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 17:12:47 PST

Jasper,
You are so right about me once having the problems with alternators
and lights. The lesson of the lights was long. Several problems were
with the bulb sockets and upon replacement the lights worked. One
time, on my M1008, we even went so far as to disconnect the wire
harness (under the hood and on the firewall) and take the fuse block
away from the interior firewall to check it out. What a nightmare! Fuses
had been jumped and extra wires for accessories were added. Got that
mess straightened out, but one light still wasn't right, as it stayed on.
Looking under the hood at the wiring, my helper pointed to a taped
section on a red wire. I reached in and started to pull the wire to me a
little
to inspect it and it came apart. Somebody used a crimp connector and
it and the wires corroded, loosing connection. Soldered the connection
and solved the problem. Sometimes it was just a poor connection. If I
recall, there's some sort of relay under the dash, just above the diagnostic
receptacle. We may have had a problem there, too, once. Can't remember
all of the problems, it runs together due to having so many in a short
period of time. I know that we also swapped out alternators with ones
known to be good on other CUCV's. Most of what I learned in trouble
shooting came from Listers, so your posting should turn out to be of value.
Joe (at 61, maybe not so mighty, but hangin' in there) Young