Advice on Tires, Seats & more for a CJV-35/U

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 03:56:43 PST

Howdy,
        Looks like we'll be getting my wife's CJV-35/U running this spring. She
inherited it from her father. Right now it's going to be a
"preservation"as opposed to "restoration". As parts are needed(other than
the tires), we'll replace with the correct military parts. But for now,
we're just going to get it running so she can enjoy it. Later on, we may
restore it, but I doubt we'll ever spend the $3000 it would cost for the
correct canvas top. Ouch! It just hard to rationalize that kind of money
for a canvas top.
        I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a tire to fit the
700x16 rims? (it should have combat rims, but it's got "normal" rims on it
now & we need to save the money for the mechanical bits) I'd like to stay
away from NDT tires, since she'll be driving it to work & around town
sometimes and might run into rain, etc. I'd hate for her to have problems
with the NDTs slipping or losing traction in the rain. Basically it will
be used for on-road, dirt roads, and light off-roading. No serious
off-roading.
        We're also going to need to get new seats for it. It's currently got
civilian seats in it that don't leave any room for the driver between the
seat & steering wheel. (I'm not fat, I have plenty of room in my MB) Are
the seat frames the same as a MB, CJ-2a, CJ-3a, or M38?

Thanks,
Brian Mead
1944 MB
1950 CJV-35/U