Re: [WT] T-90 Video Rebuild Guide!!!

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 08:36:59 PST

Mark, although we've never met, I thank you greatly for your kind words
regarding the T-90 Video.

I am quite new still to this Willys thing. Along with my '42MB Jeep ...we
both are getting to know each other !
My wife (hopefully joking) admits I have been far too involved for two years
now with this Willys thing.

However, 17 years back , a friend unfortunately was dying. At that time he
promised me his Jeep for $600. It was in running condition as well. After
his sad passing, I did not mention the Jeep to the wife and grown son until
nearly a year had passed. They knew about the promise. Regardless, what a
dissapointment to discover they sold it to some, "Tom, Dick or Harry" who
happened by and saw the Jeep beside their barn.

Well, about 15 years passed. We were still regularly in contact with this
family. Eventually, they went online, and we received our first email from
them. I soon replied and inquired as to "who" got the jeep, and maybe,
just maybe, I could follow up to find that jeep once more?
So, some days later, I received an email from the man who had purchased the
Jeep. In fact, he had 2 Jeeps. One a '42MB and the other a CJ2A The CJ2A
was in a badly rusted condition. Both had excellent engines too ! What
great luck.! Within 2 weeks the MB, which was running beautifully, was
sprayed with Olive drab. and a rebuild brake job, and next registered and on
the road. I was in Willys Heaven, here on earth.

When I drove 10 miles to town, often drivers would flash their lights. At
first I thought, "what's wrong, I am leaking oil or something" ? Also,
when another more modern jeep owner passed, many would wave and hoot their
horn and holler and flash their lights etc., Sometimes, at the Supermarket,
I would look out through the glass window at the checkout line. There was
often one or more standing around this scrappy lil' Willys. , A viewer, a
looker, a gawker, all enjoying the finer points of a '42 war Jeep.

Now, I hate to use foul 4 lettered words on this list... but, right now in
my shop I have a 44' FORD GPW under a full frame up restoration. It will be
on the road by late spring 2002

Mark, all the above has been a great experience and the start of "My Big
Willys Adventure" (tm) - stolen from a Pee Wee Herman movie title -

Now, I have aquired a flock of early jeeps which I lovingly tend to I feel
that I am "their" good Sheperd ?
Although I was intimately involved in Shooting and Editing this T-90 Video,
I will soon be watching the video once again to help familiarize myself for
the GPW restoration. (not the same tranny - but basically quite similar to
the T-90)

However, except for my wonderful wife, I was basically all alone in my Big
Jeep Adventure !
We saw a poster in a local store for an upcoming Antique Show and Flea
Market in Norwich, NY
So we decided to attend. Lots of junk, as usual. Although, we did not see
one flea, they were definitely present ! As we got to the end of a large row
of antique cars ...what then came into view? Jeeps, Jeeps, jeeps, all them
War Willys, beautifully restored. Trucks too !
These guys had so much info., to impart. I was truly amazed. I joined on
the spot. It was one of those guys who steered me to the WillyTech group -
Mil-Meh group and G503.com

So guys, If you're are out there by yourself with your Willys projects, I
suggest that you seek out a local chapter of the MVPA.
Even if your have a non military PU or Wagon etc.!
Why, because these local MVPA guys are themselves, just like our WillysTech
& G503.com & Mil-Veh., groups. These guys have a wealth of parts to
sell and swap, and their huge store of knowledge, is available to you
through these (live) group meets. We all know that Willys Vehicles "crossed"
over into the military equipment. However, I still have not become a Miltary
nut or re-enactor, just a Willys nut.

Through our local chapter of the MVPA I have met an ex- marine Willys
enthusiast who will "soon" rebuild a T-84 for another learning video.
This T-84 is the War JeepTranny that is quite similar in most respects to
the T-90 ( I did say similar) ...yet smaller and a with great "lack" of
roller needle bearings that you will find in the T-90. These trannies use
bronze alloy bushings for some of the bearings.

Well, this has been far too long. However, I thank you again Mark for
your kind words regarding our T-90 Video
Rick Stivers, did a fine job. Rick, was ably helped and supported by the
late Joe VanSlyke. Joe, was another long time Willys guy who's knowledge
was extremely vast. Joe appeared briefly in only a couple of the shots on
the T-90 videotape. His input was invaluable. Joe is missed.

Regards,
Rob Pearson aussierob@odyssey.net
Upstate Ny area near Syracuse.
'42 MB Been to #ell and back
'46 CJ2A Fully Rebuilt Eng. not yet intsalled
'47 CJ2As Really Rusty one Runs (two jeeps)
Two CJ5s great engines - bad tubs
1, Surrey jeep. soon to have Toyota Celica eng. + Tranny