Re: [MV] M35 locking hubs and license plate

From: Amnon Nissan (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 09:18:20 PST

> Well, actually, its bringing the front drive axle up to speed. I do not
own
> one, but the way most work is that until you switch it on, the transaxle
is
> not supplying any power to the front driveshaft or differential. Engaging
> the front, at say 30 MPH, would mean that the entire front assembly would
be
> brough from 0MPH up to 30 MPH almost instantly, not something it was
> intended to have done.
>
> Even many modern day vehicles recommend not switching it over at more than
> 5-10 MPH.

It is making sense now. I guess it is the same situation when you land a
plane people ask "why are you applying the brakes before you touch the
ground?", not realizing that you are asking the wheels to spin at thousands
of RPM "right now" and the smoke and skid has nothing to do with applying
brakes.

I think what I meant to ask originally was is it OK to engage the front
drive (low) for the purpose of a parade, something I won't be doing while
rolling, with the hubs unlocked. I guess the answer is yes then, right?

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce
919-852-2121