Re: [MV] PS to conversation with GL

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 12:07:14 PST

Jack,

While I suppose it's possible we have a nut on the list,
I don't think your "feedback forms" type of email is due to pranksters. I'm getting these also. My understanding of the ruse is that it's now illegal in some jurisdictions to send usolicited email. The sender now claims to have received a form from you via some web page or other venue, and therefore is addressing your inquiry. That apparently gets him off the hook for the spamming. There is a similar technique that assures you that YOU asked for information, and opted in, or else you would not be getting the message. Obviously, this is for the benefit of some third party to whom you might complain, because YOU know damned well you didn't ask for it. Just ignore them.
As for the list generating hatemail and annoying messages, as an outspoken list member, I also get these. I just figure that if I really annoyed someone that badly, someone who thinks opposite to my own thoughts, then I made my point sufficiently. The best thing and also the worst thing, about the Internet, is that it presents an opportunity to cranks to have their agenda heard. I look at it like this....if they can present theirs, that also insures my freedom to do the same. If I demand them to be silenced, then I will suffer the same fate in time. Meanwhile, refer all complaints to the Unsubscribe Group, (LOL) and that should take care of it! Don't get discouraged, just get even!
Best regards,
The other Jack