LONG post on vehicle judging

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 11:41:13 PST

To the list, I apologize for the length, but this is Strictly Mil Veh
Related, not argumentative.

Dave: (and 10,000 others on the list.....)
I have the TOW MUTT with TOW system that was such a hassle last year till
they (Govt.)found out I was correct (Not of Bin-Ladins blood line, etc.).
During the MVPA convention I didn't enter the TOW jeep, as it wasn't running
good enough, NOR was it fixed up, merely the TOW system looked good. (Side
note, if you find any TOW stuff, keep me in mind....Just bought another
missile residue off e-bay)

ANYWAY, I said Hi to a Lead judge L. Moore at the convention, and was
immediately drafted as a WWII 1/4 ton Judge. (I did restore my GPW, so I
know something about them as well) Why's this important??? Well, we had no
"preset" judging standards handed out in book form but a long printed sheet
which offers insight to the standard. (oh, yes I ordered the judging
standards book for WWII AFTER I was judge, but I never expected to be one,
and the sheet is really explanatory for standards)

Now having judged ANY vehicle allows me the privilege to make the following
insights:

If you go for a class, make the vehicle fit that class. If it's factory,
then DON'T bolt anything on that was "After" the factory. Saw a Factory
Class GPW with radio mounts, weapons mounts bolted on with Ford Script as
another example. Well, they weren't installed at the factory, so HOW did
they get "F" script bolts? (Sure, someone in the motorpool could have parted
out a GPW, but NOT the factory. Simple case or "Over restoration"

 If it's motorpool, then DON'T go with weapons and gear, as that's "Combat
class".
Had a really nice Tan SAS jeep that the Jeep wasn't really restored merely
the prime mover for the great display. He was competing in the Combat
class. He wasn't NEAR the class he'd signed in, and they had already
dropped him from the Motorpool class. So I got together with Lou and the
judges and we made a "Special" Class covering Diorama type displays. (The
Vehicle condition isn't the primary focus as the whole story is.)

So for your jeep, the first thing to consider is WHAT class you want to
represent.

Now the judging form has two entries for points with assorted scale from Max
1 to Max 20. I can't list them all, as I don't remember them.
Entries were like this:
        Originality / Condition
Tires: ____ / ____
Horn: ____ / ____
Windshield: ____ / ____

Now it can be Original, and worn out, assigning some points. It can be
repro and loose the "originality" points (Repro Body as an example looses
all points for "original, but gets 20 points for condition as an example).
Vs a rebuilt body gaining 15 points for originality and 10 points on
condition, etc.

There are sections for:
-Safety gear (Present, functioning, correct to vehicle and mounted in the
correct location!!!)
-Starting the engine: No Smoke?/smoothness, how fast it starts, noise, Does
exhaust leak?(using rag over end)
-Lights works (Many Blackout markers were NOT working or cross wired on some
of the WW II jobs, even Factory class, and those were such simple Points
earners...)
-Emergency brake holds when engine is in gear (sometimes we just tried to
push the body instead if the motor didn't start.)
-Wipers work, blade condition, etc.
-leaks underneath
-Wiring condition
-Crawled under and looked around
-Shocks leaking/ present/ correct type, etc.
-Markings correct for unit displayed (Year)
-Color correct for year represented/ unit
-Accessories (those from the factory, and those from the motorpool)
-Dataplates (mounted correctly, proper to vehicle..)

If you do a motorpool standard vehicle, I'd do like I did, find the Cammo
log book, the -10, the dispatch form, a dated 2404 filled out and
signed,(maybe even a part and stock # listed as on order to replace
something worn...) possibly a deferred maintenance form, and a "Safe Driver"
card with another Accident form stuck in the log book (plus the keys to the
standard Series 200 lock...)
Think of it just as it should be when the driver does a layout for
inspection of his gear in the motorpool. The top could be used as a layout
base, tools aligned, (marked with bumper number or unit) logbook laid open
with the proper forms, etc. Armorall on the tires is not necessarily
correct, but could be done (we used silicone brake fluid...) Don't block
room for the judges and spectators if at all possible.......

If you go combat, add the weapons, dummy grenades, etc. etc. BUT NOT IN
MOTORPOOL CLASS! (Unless it's a weapons system like the mounted TOW, 106mm,
etc.

As a last thought, there are points assigned for overall presentation and
informative level of display, these consist of diagrams, charts, pictures of
the beast in action, history, the restoration, anything that informs the
tourist of the uniqueness of the vehicle (History and controversy of
rollovers and cutup decision) Don't go overboard, but uniqueness here in
explaining things can gain a few needed "subjective" points. Then it can
also fall into another category as favorite, etc. by the audience or judges.

As an example, a combat display may take it to the extreme of a 1/2 Vietnam
hut built behind the jeep with captured gear, ricebowl with rice beside the
burned out fire, c-rats, weapons (meeting the standards of the convention
organizers...unfortunately...), Pens, pencils a Marked Map, radio traffic
for battle/ air strike through a Cassette inside the Radio housing, video
presentation in the background of vehicle in action, etc.
It can really be fun. (Or a pain in the...)

Do what makes you feel most comfortable though, As for me, in my opinion
there will ALWAYS be someone trying for the #1 show award, (who has only one
vehicle in the garage and it's been pampered and overdetailed) and I enjoy
just getting as MANY vehicles as I can back into "running, Then in military
Form, I'll NEVER go for a Factory class, or Motorpool, there should be a
"Fun" class some day....
He who dies with the most toys......

Regards and hope this helps you win something!
WA Winget
Hampton, Va

The Web site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jhooah/index.html
PS: Still looking for leads on a Old WWI Basket case of a M1917 Tank, or
Swap a 57mm gun for a Pack 75 or 37mm AT gun. And as always: TOW System
Parts??? WAW

PPS: If you Want to Judge please volunteer... Expect to spend ALL day with
much Angst, (Owners watching you...) and loose that day of the
convention.... WAW

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXX