Re: [MV] 'Black Hawk' Boycott

From: JEFF HAIN-MATSON (flmv@flmv.net)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 10:43:50 PST

Colin Macgregor Stevens wrote:
"The rewriting of history, or at least changing the slant of it, is common in
many cultures. We expect propaganda in wartime but less so in peacetime.
Canadian veterans are still furious for example at the Canadian Broadcasting
Company because of their revisionist anti-Canadian renditions of WWII
history in the last decade. Our schools have also diluted our military
history almost completely. The result is that the Dutch people for example
probably think far more (and better of) the Canadian Army than the Canadian
people do! The suspect that Dutch are also taught more about Canadian
military history than Canadians are, but that is another story - one
stemming from the Liberation of Holland in 1944-45, principally by First
Canadian Army."
-------
I was in Apeldoorn in May of 2000 (wife's father was a 48th vet) and Arnhem in
Sept. of 1999. The Dutch people are indeed very thankful still and school
children are well versed in 50 year old history. More than I can say of most
people in my country.

The media and school rewriting or ignoring of history has happened for a long
time. it shouldn't but it does. As a high school student in the late 70's in the
U.S., we barley covered WWI, and WWII. Korea, as always the forgotten war was
ignored, and Vietnam, well if you had a teacher who was there you might get an
impromptu lesson it it, but very rarely. This bothered me then and still does
today.

At least we can be thankful that in some part of the world veterans are
remembered and thanked for there accomplishments and sacrifices. it may not
always be in there home country, but at least it does happen.

Like they used to say around here "If you like your freedom, Thank a veteran"
(and i would add "thank his family also")

I think the above says it all

--
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES      WEB SITE:   www.flmv.net