Re: [MV] M3A1 Scout Car For Sale

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 20:57:30 PST

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the first hand info on the model.

>WARNING: US buyers should check to see if they would be able to legally
>bring it into the USA. Problems exist bringing US made armour back into the
>USA.

Well... I have a *bit* of experience here. I just reimported two rusty
M29C Weasels back into the US without any problem. This was in December,
so we are talking about post 9/11 too.

What I learned is that there is a loophole in the BATF/SME language when
the vehicle is coming from Canada and Canada only. It states very
clearly that a Form 6 is not required for the importation of any vehicle
which is older than 25 years old (i.e. doesn't have to meet DoT safety
requirements) and does not voilate the wepaons related SME
classifications (live gun, biological weapon, nuke weapon, etc.). Having
a weapons capability, like a MG mount, does not kick in the Form 6
requirement. It is the weapon itself that does. And that brings me to...

If the Browning was demilled to Candian specifications it will not make
it over the border from what I am told. BATF requirements are stricter
and, even if the same, still has to be certified by the BATF. If this
were on the vehicle it would most likely screw up the whole works, so if
a US buyer DOES get this, he should plan on selling the Browning to
someone in Canada prior to shipment.

>From many frustrating calls and readings of forms I found no other reason
why importation should be tripped up for an aromred vehicle provided the
main weapon is NOT included with the vehicle. I could be wrong about all
of the above, but as far as I know all of what I said is accurate.

Steve