Follow-up on HMMWV Control Boxes

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 11:52:22 PST

This was forwarded to me about the bad Control Box message I posted last
week.
 A disclaimer here: I do not own a HMMWV, I merely drove one for three years
in the desert of Ca.,(NTC) so I am just forwarding recent safety messages
that pop up to me on other military databases, not my opinions or repeat old
notices. ;o)

Bill:
   This topic has come up several times and people always leave out pieces
of information missing that would help other people identify the defective
boxes other that the NSN. The boxes in question are the boxes produced by
LAU Technologies in Massachusetts. The primary identifying feature of this
series protective control box is that in order to use
one of them you have to make another 2" hole in the firewall to accommodate
the separate harness that goes to the glow plugs. Every other manufacturer
has a single MS(Amphenol) connector from the control box into the engine
compartment. The second thing they need to look for is the revision level
marked on the LAU Technologies tags. If the tag says Ver. 14A then there
isn't a problem because it has been reworked by LAU to current TACOM specs.
If it doesn't say Ver. 14A then the box has
to go. The problem the box causes is random engagement of the starter. If
the HMMWV was hot then it will start and idle until it runs out of fuel. If
the vehicle is cold, either the batteries will die (best case) or the
starter itself will burn out. Please feel free to post this on the mil-veh
list.
Kurt Lesser
M996A1