M-715 ON JUNKYARD WARS

From: Jim Winne (jwinne@nettally.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 17:41:35 PST

Hi fellow MV fans,

The other night on Junkyard Wars, on TLC network, they had a challenge to
build a minefield clearing machine. I missed the first part of the show
and didn't see them scrounging the yard (my favorite part) but I got to see
the finished products compete. One team scrounged up an M-715 in running
condition. It was painted semigloss OD (until the guys cut loose with
yellow spray paint) and was marked "US NAVY" in black on the doors. It was
missing the bed but it had a fording kit installed and the blackout
headlight on the hood. They mounted a V-8 on the rear end which drove a
flail made out of a drum, to set off any mines. The mines were some sort
of paint bomb. The challenge took place on a beach (somewhere in the UK, I
think). The opponent was a VW beetle with some other contraption, like a
sled, to set off the mines. I was amazed at how well that "beast" of a
truck took on the soft sand while the beetle was having such a hard
time. They tried stock tires, then rims with cleats welded on, and then
both sets bolted together, with very little success. They still had to put
boards on the ground to keep the VW from digging in. I grew up on the
east cost of Florida and had lots of friends who built dune buggies out of
old VW's with great success. I was surprised that they didn't understand
about big tires with low pressure working best in sand. Anyway, to make a
long story shorter, that "Beast" of a truck did one hell of a job. They
didn't get stuck once and seemed to go anywhere on that beach they wanted
to. They won due to the fact that the mines that weren't flailed got
crushed and made inoperative by the truck's wheels (not good if dealing
with real mines, however). I hope they show it again soon. It was a
recent episode, probably new this season. Catch it if you can. They call
it a "minesweeper" I believe.

god, I love green trucks |8^)
Jim (KB4IVH)
1967 M-715 Kaiser Jeep truck w/o winch