Re: [MV] Sitting Corrected about Reforger and M35 Winch question

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 06:50:17 PST

In a message dated 1/29/02 9:11:52 AM Central Daylight Time, winget@jfcom.mil
writes:

<< MV Content The Winch lever on the passenger side of the M35 Deuce. Which
 position does WHAT? There's a lock mechanism in front of that on the side
 as well. Can't seem to get to the manuals to answer the question. I
 thought the rear lever was reverse/ forward (and the lock on the side was
 disengage) But then why have Spool / Unspool in the cab. A simple
 explanation would be nice.

Since I am not sure which lever you are referring to, so I will answer about
both.
In the cab, the lever just to the driver's right controls the transmission
PTO. All the way forward is high, one detent back is a neutral, next is low,
then another neutral, then reverse. The hinged lockplate in the floor locks
it in neutral when not in use. The positioning of this plate is critical, as
the PTO is quiet sensitive.

The other lever is on the Gar Wood winch itself. It is the clutch control
lever. Pulling the lever away from the drum engages the winch clutch. There
is also a drum lock poppet. On early trucks it has a knob, later ones it has
a lever. The drum lock exists to keep the wire rope from unreeling during
travel. It is not strong enough to hold a load (or prevent the winch from
turning if put into gear).

Proper operation would be with cab control in neutral, engage winch clutch,
and then disengage drum lock. Then use cab controls to operate winch.

Beware the drum clutch can fail if you beat on lever, resulting in a winch
that is always in gear, or can't be put in gear. If the truck is new to you,
check this before operating alone.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle