Re: [MV] DOT 3 in a Deuce?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 20:44:19 PST

John,
Well, way back when M35's were just M35's (not A anythings), they did not use
silicone.....so not using silicone won't hurt them. (Some of mine have
silicone, some don't)
In my humble opinion, the only practical use for silicone brake fluid in a
ground based HMV is to make money for the silicone brake fluid manufacturers.

What is the nature of his master cylinder failures?
I recognize mixing brake fluid types is not a good idea...you get all the
disadvantages of both types and the advantages of neither, but I am unaware
of any reactivity problems.
I suspect depending on type of failure.....
Dirt getting past boot...TM is very specific about not disturbing the boot,
and PS magazine also emphasizes this, as well as pointing out some seepage
from boot area is normal.
Also possible that there is an error in the plumbing to the master cylinder
vent....there is a big MWO on this, but I am too fatigued at moment to
remember the details of it.
Improper bleeding of system, wheel cylinders, airpack, and master
cylinders.....leading to false assumption that the MC has failed.

Hope this helps,
David