Re: [MV] M37 broken valve spring

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 07:31:06 PST

At 7:22 AM -0800 1/31/02, Chris Waymire wrote:

> So I've got the manifold off now and I just opened up the valve
>covers. I noticed two things, first, one of the springs is broken. Second,
>many of the valve lock nuts aren't tight. I've never gotten this far into an
>engine before. What's the best way to fix the spring? Also, can I tell if
>the valves need to be adjusted or just tighten the nuts? I'd really
>appreciate some advice.

You'll likely have to remove the head if its like other engines that
I've worked in (never been in an M37s though). You can get the old
spring off, but getting the new spring on will require that you
compress the spring to finish installing the valve keepers. Examine
how the valve spring works against the valve. That component that
holds the top of the spring against the top of the valve is the key.

Since you are in there, you might look at doing additional work on
the head to be sure it is in spec. it flat and square, check the
tolerances on all the valves. Potentially lap the valves (especially
the one that wasn't sealing). If you've never worked on a head
before, you might get someone who has to help you through the
evolutions.

--
Ryan Gill         |        |         rmgill@mindspring.com