GMC clutch, dif centres

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 12:18:15 PST

I adjusted the clutch so that it actuates only about 1 inch from the floor.
Now there is about 4 inch 'freeplay'

Prior to that it was by the book, ie about 2.5 inches freeplay
and 2.5 inch above floor.

I did this as it was explained, as i understood it, that the diagphram
return spring in the GMC is a sheetmetal part, and does not like to flex
too far...if it does, it may not return, leaving one stranded i presume.

I imagine this arrangement serves the same function to the multi-finger
sheetmetal, throwout bearing arrangement in modern clutches.

Am i right so far?

What is the fix if u r stranded..i would hate to be on parade and
have that happen!...can one pry thru the cutouts in the clutch housings
or does the engine or tranny have to be moved.

(I know for a fact they will start in LoLo..not a pleasant thing)

I have got my NOS dif centre out..and I also have another dif centre,
which i assumed was a rear dif, cause it is bigger...but GMC difs are
the same front and back...arent they?

This one ( banjo) is about 25% bigger than the GMC..it has a ring gear
14-15 inches, the cover has much heavier ribbing and some bolt holes
are braced..it does not have the pinion adjuster.

Is it a Blitz dif maybe...are they a bit bigger?

they had Whites and Federals also. ( Transfield)

I dont need it...are they saleable?

My truck is at the blast yard..the tray will be off and all blasted soon.
The blasters were all most impressed..one came forward and said he wanted
to do the job..he showed me his WWII Willys Jeep, and offered me his under
cover spot in the yard, I said jump in and he drove it about for a while
...it was my first chance also to really master the double-clutch thing!!

I am still hopeless, but i got 3 - 2 right mainly..i could also find
the correct gear mostly (strange shift pattern) but still ground gears.

Should one double clutch on upshifts?..I dont and it seems ok..at
exactly the right revs..if i miss, then i double clutch.

I tried double clutching on all upshifts, but that was worse.

Should i expect to just grind gears...will this hurt them?

                                regards tony