Re: [MV] Cummins M37 Engine Conversion

From: Cabell Garbee (cgarbee@ipass.net)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 16:13:39 PST

Charles does really nice work and he used to do a lot of Hercules
installations for local VFD's. He currently is installing a Cummins
4BTA/Spicer combination into a pair of trucks for VFD use. The transmission
is out of the M35 series, and you have to do a bit of work to the floor pan
to get it to clear the transmission from what I have heard. The Cummins he
is using is rated at 130hp@2500rpm.

I talked to him about my Cummins M37 conversion back when he started his, but
I have not seen the two trucks that he is currently working on, but the
quality of his other work is really good. He is the person that I had setup
my 4.89 gears and lockers when I converted over from the stock 5.83 gears.

For an alternate Cummins setup, I installed a 1990 Cummins 4BT (105hp at
2500rpm) with an Advance Adapters Ranger III Overdrive (0.73:1) sandwiched
between it and the original transmission.

I purchased my Cummins from an outfit in Norfolk, MA, called The Foot that
had a lot of Entenman's bakery trucks (Chevy P30) with Cummins power plants
that they were cutting up. Their web site is:
http://www.enginecom.com/cd.htm You can find these in a lot of places as
they are used in a lot of construction equipment and delivery vans...

I have a web page where I am slowly documenting what I did on my truck. The
URL is: http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/

I can run down the road at 75mph while getting 17mpg.

C. Garbee
1953 Cummins powered USMC M37
1960 Linn Coach M101
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/