RE: [MV] Odd lights on M35A2

From: Hutterer, John - Deltec (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 05:40:52 PST

Ron,

That's what is known as a Swingfire Adapter. Actually, I think that it is
spelled Schwingfeuer, as I believe it is either German or Swiss (maybe
Nordic?). It is a hollow, double-walled tube, about 3' long. There are a
couple of hose barbs on the side of it, one near the top, and one near the
bottom. The tube is connected to the cooling system of the vehicle. Coolant
fills the space between the inner and outer walls. A long, twisted, probe is
inserted into the central tube. The outer end of the probe has an apparatus
that looks something like the motor on a chain saw attached to it. It is a
fuel tank, spark plug, pressure generator system. The fuel is ignited and
heats the probe. The heat from the probe is transferred to the coolant in
between the tube walls, and from there to the engine. It is a heavy duty,
non-electric, tank heater that is big enough to heat a deuce engine in just
a few minutes. I was with an Army Reserve unit that was "cap-stoned" to the
6th ID in Alaska. Even though we were in Minnesota, some of our trucks had
this adapter installed. The Swingfire heater unit costs the Government about
$6000.00. I don't know if they are still in use, although it would seem so,
based on the pictures. I don't know if you could find one on the surplus
market, or what it would cost, if you did.

John