M151A1 HELP

From: Tony Castagno (tonycastagno@verticalthought.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 17:53:08 PST

Hello List,

As some of you might remember I am starting to restore my m151a1. I am
trying to get it mechanically fit before all the cosmetics. I just
purchased a new carburetor for it in hopes of fixing its hard
starting... I think it fixed that, but now it is missing terribly. I
think it was missing before too but perhaps but can't remember if it was
this much. I pulled all the spark plugs looking for a wet one but
didn't see much difference. Number 4 looked a bit darker not the nice
paper bag brown I would expect to see.... by the exhaust pipe you can
hear purrrr bu bu bu pur bu bu purrrr bu purrrr bu bu bu bu purr.... so
it seems inconsistent... I've pulled the spark plugs, they are all
firing, but it (seems to me) that they are not firing consistently; I
played with the timing of the distributor, but no real change. Some
have nicer coloration than the others as far as the plugs go... but
nothing soaking wet and oily. I have the electronic ignition upgrade in
the carb so no breaker contacts... I cleaned the dist cap and the points
of contact..... should I suspect the plugs? I noticed that the sparks
(maybe blinded impression) weren't very consistent... I think the
distributor is in pretty good shape, I guess that leaves the wires and
plugs??? Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Tony