Re: [MV] Sherman documentary on TV tonite

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 07:43:08 PST

Hi John,

Sounds like a good time had by all kinda a thing :-) Reminds me though...

One of the things I did *NOT* like about the Tiger documentary was that
they showed the Tiger mockup (on T34/85 tank) they used for Saving
Private Ryan and made NO indication that this was not the real deal. It
is fine to have footage of John's Stuart driving around without
commentary because it *is* the real deal, and obviously the footage is
reinacting so there can be no confusion between it and real life
historical footage.

I'm just wondering... the production company was already in Europe, so
why couldn't they swing something with the Samuor (sp?) museum in France?
 They have a Tiger 1E (not running IIRC) that they could have crawled
inside and out of, not to mention they have the *only* fully restored,
running King Tiger in existance. Plus, Tiger 1E at Bovington is probably
restored enough to do inside shots at the very least and they also have
(the only?) King Tiger with the original Porche turret. Yet they did not
utilize these fine resources. Puzzling!

Steve