Re: [MV] What's in a name

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 16:08:17 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <MVTrucker@aol.com>
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] What's in a name

> Interestingly, when America called up its troops in World War I, it also
> called upon Harley-Davidson to produce dispatch and scouting vehicles. During
> World War II Uncle Sam utilized all of Harley-Davidson's manufacturing
> capabilities to produce more than 90,000 motorcycles for the armed forces of
> America and its allies.

Not too sure about that for British forces Joe, although the Army and RAF did
use some Indians.

The Canadians used Matchless G3L's and Norton 16H along with Harley's too.

At the outset in 1939 the army had over 21,000 motorcycles, by June 1940 some
50,000 and by the time of VE day British motorcycles _in service_ was almost
270,000 not including those produced for Russia and Commonwealth Armies; actual
production figures must be an amount higher.

Richard
Southampton - England
-Solent Area MVT-
http://www.solentmvt.co.uk