Re: [MV] Sherman documentary on TV tonite

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 15:45:15 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <DDoyle9570@aol.com>
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Sherman documentary on TV tonite

> German armor is way out of my "field of expertise," IF I even have one,
> but....
> Doesn't the FAMO 18ton half track use the same engine (or is it the engine
> out of a smaller panzer)? And on the back cover of a W&T some years ago
> wasn't the remnants of such a half track shown rusting away?
> Or (more likely on all counts) is my memory failing me?

It might be !

It gets a bit complicated, broadly the V12 configured Maybach engine came in
several forms and sizes and you can perhaps think of them as a common design
scaled up and down as needed, so using the German equivalent of a "Vanderveen
bible" in the shape of Werner Oswald's excellent reference book "Kraftfahrzeuge
und Panzer der Reichwehr, Wehrmacht und Bundeswehr" we have in the V12's:

The Sd.Kfz.8 '34-'37 Maybach DSO 8 of 7.937 litre 150HP PS
-------"------- '38-'44 HL 85 TUKRM 8.520 litre 185HP PS
The Sd.Kfz.9 1938 (Famo F2) HL 98 TUK 9.800 litre 230HP PS
------"-------- '39-'44(Famo F3) HL 108 TUKRM 10.830 litre 250HP PS

Then the tanks:
Panzer III Ausf. A, B, C and D. HL 108 TR 10.838 litre 250HP PS
Panzer IV Ausf A - same
Panzer III Ausf. E to N (no i or k). HL 120 TRM 11.867 litre 300HP PS
Panzer IV and variants except the Moebelwagen, Ostwind and Wirbelwind as Panzer
III Ausf. E onwards above; these three have the HL 120 TRM/112 - 310HP PS
Panzer V Panther and variants. HL 230 P 30 - 23.88 litre 700HP PS
Panzer VI Tiger 1. HL 210 P 45 - 21.353 litre 650HP PS
Panzer VI Tiger 2. HL 230 P 45 - 23.88 litre 700HP PS (and Jagdtiger)
Elefant/Ferdinand. Two HL 120 TRM

Maybach also made a range of 6 cyl engines around 5 & 6 litres, it would be
convenient to think these were half of a HL 108 and 120 but I am wholly unsure
of this and regrettably my German doesn't extend to translating the copious
texts dealing with vehicle types.

Richard
Southampton - England
-Solent Area MVT-