testing fuel pump

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 10:29:47 PST

Hi all,
I need to test the mechanical fuel pump on one of my military standard
engines for leaks. What do you think about this? Plug the inlet and
outlet. Use a pump with a guage on it to pressurize the chamber on the
discharge side to normal fuel pressure and then see if the pressure leaks
down over time. I keep getting gas in my oil and this is the only
connection I can think of. It'd take me an hour to swap pumps, so I figured
it would be easier to check it on the engine. Has anyone ever done this
before? If so, what type of air pump did you use? Thanks.
Sincerely,
Chris Stansbury
webmaster, www.steelsoldiers.com
1984 M1009 CUCV