Re: [MV] U.S. Senate Bill Would Fund Private Vehicle Scrappage Programs

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 08:29:10 PST

Colin,

>Car collectors were saddened because many restorable vehicles and parts
>vehicles were crushed.What was worse is that the crusher operators REFUSED
>to allow anything to be saved, and even crushed a Boat-tail Auburn car which
>a collector was trying to save.

While this is not a good thing, remember that the proposed US legislation
only covers cars which are running and currently registered. Meaning
that not a single hulk is in danger from this legislation. Andy if the
Boat-tail Auburn was running and registered I doubt it would have been
destroyed becaue the owner would have sold it instead of having it
destroyed for no return.

Your idea about notifying clubs is a good one. However, I think this is
something that should be done anyway. 10s of thousands of vehicles are
currently rusting away all over the place, both military and non
military, whithout the owners either caring or knowing that someone would
gladly come by and pick up the ones with "value". I know that 8 out of 9
of my Weasels have been sitting in fields and woods rusting away for
10-30 years. Now all but one or two are totally beyond salvage.
 Therefore, in regards to destruction, neglect is a far worse problem
than any government initiative we face today.

Steve